Tuesday, May 13, 2008

#1 (Introductions)

Ancora Imparo: Italian for "I am still learning."

With all the free time I now have, I decided to start a blog. So here it is. Impressed yet? I am. If you know me, I am not the most technologically savvy person, so the fact that I created this without imploding my laptop is an accomplishment.

So what am I going to talk about here? Just my life. What I do. Things that happen. Thoughts I have. I'm hoping it turns out to be fairly interesting for anyone who reads it. But more importantly, I want to keep a good record of where I am in my life right now. So in the future, I can look back and see the progress I've made, lessons I've learned, and mistakes that won't happen again. So this is just as much for me as it is for anyone reading this, if there even are any.

Now that the introduction is out of the way, here I go with my life right now.

I graduated on May 10th with my Masters in Music (Wind Conducting) from the University of Louisville. Since that chapter in my life is now over, I am looking for a job. I hate using the word "unemployed," but it fits at the moment. I'm looking for a job as a high school band director in the Louisville, Kentucy area.

So far, I've sent out nearly 10 job applications and resumes, but haven't had any interviews yet. Thankfully, I'm optimistic and patient.....for now. Everyone keeps telling me, "Don't worry. You'll find a job. It's still early." I appreciate the comforting words from everyone, I really do. However, I starting to wonder how many times people can say that before they stop believing it. There has to be a point when the optimistic sentiments must die off, and people start wondering what I'm doing wrong since I don't have a job. Huh, guess I don't sound like much of an optimist after all. Oh well.

Besides the frustrating job search, I have begun another important journey in my life. I joined Urban Active gym, hired a personal trainer, and am gonna finally get in the shape I want to be in. This blog is gonna serve as a good tool to keep me on track and accountable for everything I should be doing. So in each post, I will include a summary of my days workout, and measurements when they are taken.

In my first personal training session last week, we took all my body measurements. This was not fun. Let me repeat...no fun was had. So here ya go, everyone share in my out-of-shapeness:

Body Fat % = 22%
BMI = 26.2
Weight = 199 lbs.
Waist (around navel) = 41 in.
Chest = 41 in.
Bicep = 11 in.
Calf = 15 in
Thigh = 22 in.

So there ya go everyone. I'm now holding myself accountable in front of the entire online world. This, plus the money I'm spending, will hopefully give me that extra boost to actually get healthy this time.

And if anyone is looking for a gym, I recommend Urban Active. It is AMAZING!


Peace, Love, and Equality....

Jon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

firstly, yay! jon has a blog! :)

secondly, i thought i'd letcha know that i had about 10 INTERVIEWS before getting my job at a band in california. makes me sound like a terrible interviewee i guess, but i'd sent applications to schools all over chicago. not the best of markets for first-timers, but the interviews sure got me ready for the ones i had in california. so, i'll reiterate -- don't worry, the perfect job is waiting for you :)

Carrie said...

NEAT! I'll be following along! SO proud of you! :-)

Tara said...

Awww - YAY! I'm so glad to see the "p,l & e" again! Keep it up my friend. How else are we all to keep in touch if not via the internet.
And about the job thing... yeah, it'll take a while. Believe me, later on you'll look back at this time in your life when you were unemployed and wonder why you ever worried so much. I know I do!

Anonymous said...

Hoorah for the blog!
-gus